Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pre-reading week 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWlazCvwi0

Please find a youtube video of an artist that you believe is using hip-hop in a more conscious matter and post it on your blog. Explain your reasoning behind choosing this video.

The video that chose was ”Diary” by Wale. I chose this video because the artist is not talking about the things that are usual talked about in hip -hop music , such as sex, and money. He is talking about a girl that has been hurt in her life by other man , which causes her to think all men are the same. The artist talks about how he wants to get to know her , but she will not give him a chance because she learned all men are untrustworthy . The artist said, “Every problem you ever had with another man I gotta face”, which means he will always be considered a cheater because he is a man.  The artist explains how he wants to give her everything she needs, and how she deserves to be treated like a queen.  However, the girl is scared to be vulnerable again , because of her past heartbreak .

I also chose this video because the women are not being degraded in it. Instead of having a lot of females dancing half naked in the video, it is very respectful, and doesn’t objectify women as sex objects. I feel this song is meaningful because the artist is actually expressing the way he feels , which is what I think artist in hip hop , and in of other genres of music should do. This artist is talking about treating women with respect, other artists do not . Many other artists talk about how many girls they can get, or got. They also talk all thing women do for them, but never what they do for women. Also , in their music videos, women are presented as sex symbols. They are seen in videos with reviling clothes on, and dancing inappropriately.

Even though this video is different compared to other , it could be another way for the artist to get more fans. He could just be trying to direct his music toward a different audience. The artist just might be rapping what he thinks female want to hear, like being told they are beautiful , and that they deserve everything . Although this may be true, the video isn’t as problematic as the rest.
Word Count: 405

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you; not all hip-hop music and videos are degrading to women. I also listen to a lot of Wale's music and he talks a lot about real life situations, his feelings, and diffrent perspectives. It is something different that a lot of people wouldn't expect from rappers. I think a lot of people respect him and his music because he doesn't fall into the stereotypes of African American male rappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hazel,
    I really appreciate your analysis of Wale's music and video. I think it shows good critical thinking skills that you are able to question his motives- does he really feel this way, or is he doing this as a way to broaden his fan base? I think this relates to the consumption piece of hip-hop- as much as artists want to make music that is reflective of who they really 'are', they also wanna make some money, so they have to please the consumers.
    --eas

    ReplyDelete