What was the most interesting thing you learned from the
video? Did it make you change how you thought about hip-hop?
The most interest thing I’ve learned from this video is that
hip hop is exaggeratedly accused of being too violent in this society. The video
pointed out that America is very hyper masculine and hyper aggressive nation. We
watch movies and play videogames with the same type of violence in it. We also
see this same type of violence and masculinity in the sports culture and the
military culture. The video also talks about
women being portrayed as sex object in this hip -hop culture. It pointed out
that hip -hop was not the only thing that was objectifying women as sex object
either. We see women in the hip-hop culture, but we also see them being
objectified in magazines, advertisement, and on TV as well.
Another thing I found interesting was how the society
defines a man as being powerful, dominate, in control, and having the respect
of your peers. A man has to be strong to be worthy of power, and if they are not
, there are other ways to display their
power, such as financial power. Men have money do not have to be as physically
power as men who do not have money. In order for the rappers in the hip- hop industry
to gain respect or their street credibility they have to present themselves as “
hard ” even though they are not. They rap about what they think people want to
listen to, and what they think would make them the most money. Many of the
rappers do not even live the lifestyle they talk about in their music. Men who
think this type of behavior make them a men is wrong, and it causes many
problems. When men try to defend their manhood, they may end up getting into a
conflict that leads to something more serious.
The video has changed the way I view about hip- hop, because
I felt hip- hop was an expression of how artists felt. It turned out to be just
entertainment. I also caused me to listen to the lyrics, and analyze what the artists
are actually saying instead of just listening to the beat. Artists talk about
how they have a lot of women, and they degrade women in their music. Even if
music is just entertainment, artists should not have to degrade or objectify
women as sex objects.
Word Count: 415
Hi Hazel,
ReplyDeleteI genuinely enjoyed reading this blog- I definitely enjoy the film (that is one of the reasons that I show it), but I really love hearing about what students agree and disagree with- thanks!
I am also really pleased that picked up on the film's argument that it is unfair to target hip-hop specifically for being really violent when American masculinity, across all races, is very violent and it is seen as a benefit for men to have and exercise power in some way; whether it be monetary or physical.
--eas