Thursday, October 4, 2012

Post-reading: week five


1. I am unsure if this is a form of colorblind racism, but I think it is, because it is discriminating against undocumented students.

3. I do not think this is a form of colorblind racism because people of color and women need the money to attend school.

4. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because the participant refers to the parents at the urban school as “those parents”, and she believes that parents of color don’t care about what their children do.

5. I am unsure because religion doesn’t deal with race, but it is discriminating against Muslims.

6. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because the counselor thinks all Latinos are house cleaners or work in a restaurant.

7. I do not think this is a form of colorblind racism.

8. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because the cosmetics company is inferring that all African Americans have exotic hair.

9. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because the party was meant to mock people of color.

11. I do not think this is a form of colorblind racism.

13. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because it is inferring that all immigrants are Spanish speakers.

14. Yes, I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because the realtor is assuming that the African American woman wants to live in an urban neighborhood.

15. I think this is a form of colorblind racism because calling a white person a “cracker” isn’t equivalent to calling a black person a “nigger”.

16. I’m not sure if this is a form of color blind racism, but given the fact that she has a black boyfriend doesn’t excluded her from being a racist.

17. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because Newt Gingrich is being stereotypical.

18. I feel that it is a form of CBR because the university isn’t honoring the American Indians it’s mocking them instead.  

19. I feel this is a form of CBR because the teacher is inferring that all Salvadorian don’t know how to speak English well.

20. I feel this is a form of CBR because the colleague is assuming that the Chinese worker knows how to speak a certain language.

21. I feel this is a form of colorblind racism because the couple refers to the black babies as “those babies”, and they are inferring that all black babies are in need of special help.
WORD COUNT: 419

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hazel,
    I appreciate the specific discussion of a number of the scenarios we discussed in class. While you did give me some insight about why you thought certain ones were CBR, you didn't really give me too much background about the ones you didn't- I would love to hear the rationale behind those as well! However, the reasons you did give show me that you have a pretty nuanced understanding of CBR is; particularly example number 1- undocumented immigrants are racialized as Latino, and so the unwillingness to provide services to them can be read a racialized as well.
    --eas

    ReplyDelete